ASIC Project Flow
Download Project Flow File (PDF)
System Review (CUSTOMER AND APPLICATION ENGINEER)
- Review of the system schematics, block diagrams and specifications.
- Develop an understanding of the design challenges, operating environment, and regulatory requirements, such as conducted/radiated noise, RFI, lightning and environmental exposure.
- Understand the final product (not just the ASIC Design) including any certification requirements such as CE, UL compliance.
- Produce an ASIC block diagram and board level diagram that identifies each pin and any required external components.
- Identify board level architectural tradeoffs that lead to most cost effective silicon integration.
Preliminary Design (CUSTOMER, ASIC DESIGNER)
- Schematic capture
- Silicon Emulation of external analog interface, such as; strain gauges, thermocouples, and photodiodes.
- Silicon Emulation of high-risk analog sections.
- CPLD/FPGA based emulation of external digital interface.
- Preliminary Test Specification
- Preliminary ASIC Design
Preliminary Design Review (CUSTOMER AND ASIC DESIGN TEAM)
- Review simulation results and data
- Review emulation results and data
- Review and update Preliminary ASIC Design Specification
- Review and update Preliminary Test Specification
- Identify ASIC design/board architecture change, as needed
Design Integration (ASIC DESIGN TEAM)
- Transistor level schematic capture
- Test interface design and schematic capture
- Re-simulation of modified or effected sections
- Re-emulation of modified or effected sections
- Critical Design Review Specification
Critical Design Review (CUSTOMER AND ASIC DESIGN TEAM)
- Review final ASIC schematics
- Review specification
- Customer sign-off
Layout (ASIC DESIGN TEAM)
- Physical layout
- Design Rule Check (DRC)
- Layout Versus Schematic (LVS) verification
- Back annotation
- Re-simulation, as needed
- Mask fabrication
- Untested prototype assembly
Prototype Evaluation (CUSTOMER)
- Prototype evaluation by STA prior to shipping prototypes to the customer
- Prototype evaluation by customer
- Prototype approval
Production Pilot Run (PRODUCTION DEPARTMENT, TEST DEPARTMENT)
- Complete production test program
- Deliver tested pilot parts (production packaging)
- Review and sign off test program
- Release design to production
Production Lead Time
- Standard Turn 16 to 20 weeks
- Fast Turn 8 to 15 weeks